By BFHS Principal Gina Brown
Welcome back!! We are so excited for the new school year and to see our students again! There are some new faces in the building, particularly in the front office. Nathan Williams joins us as the new Assistant Principal/Athletic Director and Lindsay Cink is our new College and Career Readiness Counselor.
We also have Teri Hinrichs as our new school secretary and Lisa Carle has taken on the role of bookkeeper. And in the classroom, Abby Panabaker joins us as the new 10th grade English teacher.
We feel extremely fortunate that we were able to get such qualified individuals to join the BFHS family!
At this time, Boundary County School District is in the green zone for the reopening of schools. This means that our students are in the building 4 days a week and we couldn’t be happier! However, there will be some changes to how we do business in response to the Co-VID pandemic. Some of the changes are;
- Masks or shields are required for everyone who enters the building.
- Doors are locked until 7:30 a.m. Every person who enters the building will have their temperature taken with a forehead thermometer. Please be sure to give yourself plenty of time to avoid tardies.
- In the morning, students will enter the building through the commons doors or the front doors by the office. Please follow social distancing guidelines while waiting to enter.
- Anyone who has a temperature of 100-plus degrees will sent home. If a student needs picked up by a parent they will be assigned to a designated area until a parent arrives.
- We are asking that students avoid congregating in the halls. Report to 1st hour as soon as they enter the building.
- Parents and visitors are allowed by appointment only and face coverings are required. If you need to pick up your student, parents are asked to ring the buzzer and wait in the foyer. Office staff will bring the sign-out sheet and your child to you.
- Gym, stadium, and auditorium seating will be at 50% capacity.
Other guidelines are available on the BFHS and district website regarding our reopening plan.
I would like to remind everyone that things are continually changing and will change if we go to yellow or red opening criteria. The biggest change would be the shift to either blended or remote learning. Please know traditional grading will occur and, unlike last year, students will need to complete assignments or academic penalties will be applied.
If we go to a yellow opening, spectators at extra-curricular events will be limited to immediate family members and the numbers may still be limited depending on available seating. For more information on the BCSD #101 Co-VID 19 plan, educational options offered, and the BFHS extra-curricular protocols, please see the BCSD #101 website.
For those parents and students who are choosing the remote learning option, please make sure you communicate your choice to the front office staff. If for any reason you start in person and need to move to remote learning, it is important to communicate this change to the front office and your child’s teachers. Also, if you need a Chromebook, the checkout form can be found on the district website. Once schedules are available, please contact your child’s teacher and make arrangements to obtain a textbook and any other necessary curricular materials.
The 2020-2021 BFHS student handbook is available online on the BFHS website. A couple of reminders as the new school year approaches that Co-VID will not affect;
- Cell phones are not allowed in class or between passing periods. They are allowed at lunch and before and after school starts.
- Purses smaller than 8” x 8” x 3”, clear backpacks and clear purses are allowed in classrooms. All other backpacks, binders, and purses will not be allowed in classroom and should stay in lockers.
- For the safety of our students, we are asking that only current BFHS students be in the student parking lot.
- The dress code has not changed, it will be enforced. If your student is dressed inappropriately as deemed by the BFHS handbook, your child will be given the opportunity to change into something more appropriate or they will be sent home.
Schedules are available outside the front office at the following times:
- 12th grade Tuesday, September 1, 9 to 11 a.m.
- 11th and 10th grade Wednesday, September 2, 9 to 11 a.m.
- Ninth grade Thursday, September 3, prior to Freshman Orientation time
Here are some important dates that you should mark on the calendar.
- Virtual Open House Wednesday, September 2, Video posted to website
- Freshman Orientation- Thursday, September 3
- Last name:
- A – CHA (8:00 – 9:00)
- CHO – HU (9:00 – 10:00)
- I – Q (10:00 – 11:00)
- R – Z (11:00 – 12:00)
- Picture Day Wednesday, September 16
- Fall Sports Pictures Wednesday, September 16 after school
- Conferences Monday, November 9 (4:30 – 7:30)
- Conferences Wednesday, November 11 (4:30 – 7:30)
- Conferences Monday, April 19 (4:30 – 7:30)
- Conferences Wednesday, April 21 (4:30 – 7:30)
The staff at BFHS is looking forward to seeing our students back in the classroom. For that to continue, we need families to do their part in stopping the spread of Co-VID. Please remember to social distance, wear a mask when social distancing is not possible, and wash your hands frequently. If you don’t feel well or are running a fever, please stay home so we can all stay in school.
I am looking forward to seeing your students, working with you, and having a great school year!